Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Adding Emu7800 1.1 to GEMUS

Discuss any other databases that use the GameBase Frontend, whether in pre development, development or publically released.

Moderator: Jimbo

throwingmuse

Adding Emu7800 1.1 to GEMUS

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:41 am

I am trying to add Emu7800 v1.1 as a managed emulator to my Atari 7800 Gamebase. The GEMUS script should be as simple as:

Code: Select all

Add_CLP(%gamepathfile%)
Add_CLP( DirectX (DX9))
Run_Emulator()
or

Add_CLP(%gamepathfile%)
Add_CLP( "DirectX (DX9)")
Run_Emulator()
I verified this syntax by launching the emulator directly from a command prompt. However, I did launch an .a78 rom file, not a zipped file as would be found in the Gamebase archive.

The error occurs when parsing the second command line parameter. Emu7800 wants the literal value "DirectX (DX9)" as the second parameter.

1. What is the function to add a character, such as a quote, directly to a GEMUS script? Char()? Chr()?
2. Is it possible to escape parenthesis for parameters like the one above?
3. Could the failure to launch be related to an inability to correctly extract the .a78 file from the zip archive and make it known to the GEMUS launcher? I have verified the .zip file is not corrupt.
OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Hi throwingmuse,

1. Enter the keycode value for quote (keyboard layout dependant) in curly brackets like this {C34} within your string and it will be interpreted at runtime.

2. I think your problem with Add_CLP( "DirectX (DX9)") is the fact you have the space preceding the quotes so your overall commandline would look something like :- c:\blah\blah.a78DirectX (DX9) hence the error, try Add_CLP(" DirectX (DX9)") .

3. Nah
throwingmuse

Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:44 pm

Neither of the proposed solutions work for me.

I tried both:

Add_CLP(%gamepathfile%)
Add_CLP( " DirectX (DX9)")
Run_Emulator()
and

Add_CLP(%gamepathfile%)
Add_CLP( {C34} DirectX (DX9){C34})
Run_Emulator()
This direct command line call does work for me (noting that I am loading a non-zipped .a78 ROM directly):

EMU7800.Win.exe "G:\Emulation\Atari_7800\Donkey Kong.a78" "DirectX (DX9)"
OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:57 pm

OK, had a little play with this - the problem is with the Gamebase frontend not liking the emulator file name of emu7800.win.exe, when you rename it to emu7800win.exe and just the basic gemus script of :-

Add_CLP(%gamepathfile%)
Run_Emulator()

It works fine.

Are you just adding the emu to the existing Gamebase 7800 or do you have any new titles added? (The original has 62)

OX.
Paul Irvine
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:08 am

I can't get it to work at all, renamed it to remove the extra . in the name and tried all the scripts in this thread and it seems not to launch the emulator at all.

Prosystem works fine...

Any idea's?
-------
Loved ones are never gone as long as you remember them....
OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:49 am

Paul Irvine wrote:I can't get it to work at all, renamed it to remove the extra . in the name and tried all the scripts in this thread and it seems not to launch the emulator at all.

Prosystem works fine...

Any idea's?
All Emu7800 needs to work is the file renaming to "emu7800win.exe" (and re-select the emulator file in Gemus) and the files types setting as ".bin;.a78," everything working fine here.
Paul Irvine
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:59 am

Stumped here, I'm pretty good at setting up emulators and GB's normally, I've helped with the games side many times on here with others GB's so its a tad annoying that I can't suss it out :)

I've stripped out the 7800 emulator dir, got the setup for emu7800 from the site, installed it clean into it, renamed the emu exe as suggested, setup the file types 100% aok, unzipped the roms as well as leaving them in zips.

Pointed the GB to an unzipped game and vice versa to try both ways, adjusted the Gemu so its looking at the right file for the renamed emu.

used the standard

Add_CLP(%gamepathfile%)
Run_Emulator()

and it just starts to launch and then exits without a crash...

If I run Emu7800 on its own it runs fine and if I point it to the unzipped gamebase roms it runs fine and plays them all.

Just not via the gamebase....very odd.

My Win 7 X32 is up to date as are the DX drivers (June 2010 version). Both the Gamebase and the emu run fine.

I'm lost...

Wonder why it works for you and not me?

Not the end of the world as I can just run the emulator by its self, just odd...
-------
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:13 pm

The script needs a SPACE before %gamepathfile%

default.txt

Add_CLP( %gamepathfile%)
Run_Emulator()
Emulators.ini

[Emulators]
1=EMU7800
2=
[EMU7800]
UseShortFilenames=0
UseDefaultTypes=0
SupportedTypes=bin;a78
EmulatorPathFile=C:\GameBase\Atari 7800\Emulators\emu7800\emu7800.exe
ScriptFile=default.txt
WaitFinish=1
1=
Paths.ini

[Games]
1=C:\GameBase\Atari 7800\emulators\EMU7800\roms
2=
my filenames

EMU7800.exe
EMU7800.exe.config
throwingmuse

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:29 pm

Attempting all of the suggested changes, Emu7800 still does not launch from GB.

Here is my setup:

Paths.ini

[Games]
1=G:\Emulation\Media\Atari_7800\Gamebase\Games
2=
[Pictures]
1=G:\Emulation\Media\Atari_7800\Gamebase\Screenshots
2=
[Extras]
1=G:\Emulation\Media\Atari_7800\Gamebase\Extras
2=
Emulators.ini

[Emulators]
1=MESS
2=Emu7800 1.1
3=
[MESS]
UseShortFilenames=0
UseDefaultTypes=0
SupportedTypes=ZIP;A78
EmulatorPathFile=G:\Emulation\Emulator\MESS\mess64.exe
ScriptFile=MESS.txt
WaitFinish=1
1=
[Emu7800 1.1]
UseShortFilenames=0
UseDefaultTypes=0
SupportedTypes=ZIP;A78;BIN
EmulatorPathFile=G:\Emulation\Emulator\Atari_EMU7800\EMU7800.exe
ScriptFile=Emu7800.txt
WaitFinish=1
1=
EMU7800.txt

Add_CLP( %gamepathfile%)
Run_Emulator()
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
I am using the 64 bit DirectX files from the x64 directory with Emu7800 and I am using GB and the emulator from a non-admin account.

EMU7800.DirectX.dll
EMU7800.DirectX.pdb
I have renamed the emulator to

EMU7800.exe
and the db to

EMU7800.pdb
Since my games are stored as .zip files, GB forces me to add ZIP as a SupportedType. If I don't, GB throws an error upon launch:

The game type is not supported by this emulator [zip]
Are your games unzipped in your ROMS directory? I note that you do not list ZIP as a SupportedType.
OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:49 pm

Since my games are stored as .zip files, GB forces me to add ZIP as a SupportedType. If I don't, GB throws an error upon launch:

Code:
The game type is not supported by this emulator [zip]

Are your games unzipped in your ROMS directory? I note that you do not list ZIP as a SupportedType.
That's probably the other part of your problem right there - you should never add .zip as a supported filetype as gamebase will simply throw the zip file at the emulator and it will fail, have a look at the menu "Tool - Frontend Options - "GBgame" temporary game file extraction folder" this will tell you where the contents of the .zip file are extracted to and ran from, it's this path with the extracted file that is passed to your emulator, so all you ever need in you Gemus supported native file types in this case is .bin;.a78.

I would also advise against renaming that .pdb file as It probably gets called directly by name within the emulator.
throwingmuse

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:49 pm

I created a new A7800 GB directory after rebooting. I removed the ZIP extension from the Emulators.ini file. I tried again.

It worked.

I cannot explain why I needed to: 1) reboot or 2) re-create the GB directory to make this work.

I'll check all of my other Gamebases for the ZIP extension.

Thanks.
Paul Irvine
Cool Member
Cool Member

Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:57 pm

(image of me banging my head on the wall)

I've done everything in this thread and I'm still not getting EMU7800 to work...

As soon as I click play I get the busy cursor for 1 second and bang, nothing happens..

I might reinstall the front end just incase I've done one mysterious thing to affect it, I know the variables are working as I'm happily running another 15 gamebases with no problem...

Would someone zip up their emulators dir on a system that works to see if that helps please, maybe I'm making one silly slip up.

All I'll need to do is repath the emulator (unless yours is on the D: drive in a gamebase dir :)
-------
OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:45 pm

Paul Irvine
Cool Member
Cool Member

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:37 am

Thanks OX, will let you know how I get on later...
-------
Paul Irvine
Cool Member
Cool Member

Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:34 am

I give up.....

Same thing....

I even reinstalled the GB frontend 1.3 just in case...

Will be formatting the C: drive and reinstalling Windows in the next month, I do this to tidy up the system after I've installed loads of programs to test, so will see if that fixes it..

Many thanks for all the help....
-------

Return to “Other GameBase Projects”