Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Running HD Install Games

Discuss the Commodore Amiga database that uses the GameBase Frontend.

Moderator: Jimbo

Fiery Phoenix
Keen Member
Keen Member

Running HD Install Games

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:14 am

I'm pretty sure I know how to add them into the Gamebase to run, but it's just how do you create a game in a .hdf file?

I have installed On the Ball (4 disk AGA version) on the HD via Workbench on WinUAE - however the folder created from the install holds something like 300 individual files.

I can see Hare Raising Havoc which has a few disks is on Planet Emu as a single file .hdf - how do I create that with what I have?
OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:56 pm

Well for starters you need to create a new hardfile (hdf), not emulate a harddisk from a directory, boot from your workbench HD and do the install from floppies to your new drive as DH1.
Then you need to add the HDF as an extra in gamebase using it's own given gemus parameters, of course your gemus script needs to be able to handle hdf files so that it can start from a bootable HD image so that you can access your game HD image.
Fiery Phoenix
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:11 am

OX wrote:Well for starters you need to create a new hardfile (hdf), not emulate a harddisk from a directory, boot from your workbench HD and do the install from floppies to your new drive as DH1.
Then you need to add the HDF as an extra in gamebase using it's own given gemus parameters, of course your gemus script needs to be able to handle hdf files so that it can start from a bootable HD image so that you can access your game HD image.
Thankyou for the reply - I am sure I am ok with the GEMUS as Hare Raising Havoc is running on my Gamebase from the .hdf.

I followed the instructions on Lemon Amiga to add a hard drive. When I go into my WinUAE and select Hard Drives I can see DH0 (system) DH1 (programs) and DH2 (games) set up.

How do I create the hard file for On the ball then? Apologies for being dumb. I can see the option to add a hard file - but what is the path? Is it the folder where I installed On the Ball to which holds the 300 or so files?

Need my hand holding here!

Would add that I have looked at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDoPPPBd2Os

Can follow it to about 1:17 but I do not know what the hell I should be selecting, etc. When I sekect HD Toolbox 'Change Drive Type' is shaded out.

At a loss I am afriad - I have tried (really hard!)
OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:47 am

Had a look at that video and I did'nt do half the stuff that was in it - just create a hdf image big enough to store the installed game and then once booted into workbench (from worbench floppies or hdf) format the new drive (tick everything) and thats it as far as the hd is concerned, next just plop your floppies in and run the installer and your done.

Return to “Commodore Amiga - GameBase Amiga”