Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

GB Amiga

Discuss the Commodore Amiga database that uses the GameBase Frontend.

Moderator: Jimbo

Belgarath
Keen Member
Keen Member

GB Amiga

Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:49 am

Just to let you know I'm still around but I'm not promising any new gb amiga release although I never entirely abandoned it.

I'd also like to say thanks to the people who have tried to keep GB Amiga alive and also those who have helped on here by answering questions, especially .mad. Thank you.
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:09 pm

Thanks for your kind words.

But the only thing that has kept your GameBase alive, is all your hard work you put into it.
Excellent work always stands the test of time. 8)
Seiya
Commended Member
Commended Member

Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:03 pm

i quote you
hardmanm
Cool Member
Cool Member

Re: GB Amiga

Tue May 12, 2015 8:30 am

Belgarath wrote:Just to let you know I'm still around but I'm not promising any new gb amiga release although I never entirely abandoned it.
Any chance of an upload of your latest version of Gamebase Amiga
Gamebase Developer
Belgarath
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:38 am

I've finished going over the data, a lot of entries have been updated. I'm starting with testing/adding new games now. Unfortunately winuae 3.10 seems to have broken a lot of the previously working configs so it's still going to take a while.

I'll release a new version around Christmas and that's a promise this time. It may not be a proper release all singing all dancing release but it will definitely be released.
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:23 am

Belgarath wrote: Unfortunately winuae 3.10 seems to have broken a lot of the previously working configs so it's still going to take a while.
it will probably be a small thing to fix.

the config file is always slightly updating.
it might be something as simple as an _underscore_ or name change in one of the machine settings.
cpu_type
cpu_mode

once you find the culprit.
a simple search and replace will fix it.

kickstart file versions sometimes update.
check your old files pass the verify in 3.10.

just in-case i forget...
MERRY CHRISTMAS.
Belgarath
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:38 am

No unfortunately it's more complicated than that, games I know should work on a standard 512k chip 512k slow suddenly don't work..It's nothing I can't fix but it's still time consuming.
Jimbo
GB64 Team

Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:02 pm

Hi Belgarath

Nice to see you're still around.

Hope things are going well for you.

All the best,

James
Retroplay
Cool Member
Cool Member

Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:09 pm

Belgarath, did you figure out what to do with .lha WHD archives ?

As you probably know, I decided a few years back to ditch zip in favor of lha as some games royally cock-up if zipped. :lol:

If need be, you can always grab up to date installs from my stash here.
Belgarath
Keen Member
Keen Member

Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:45 pm

Sorry I've not even started to look at WHD yet, I've got a lot going on at the moment and haven't had time.

I've got vague ideas..but we'll see

Thanks for the link, grabbing now, may have a quick play around later see what I can figure out.
Retroplay
Cool Member
Cool Member

Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:54 pm

No worries, I just got curious since Fiery Phoenix had a GB Amiga WHDLoad question at Lemon64.
http://www.lemonamiga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13114

Luckily said game is in zip format (for now). :)
Belgarath
Keen Member
Keen Member

Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:33 pm

Been trying a few things but this is giving me a headache..
And eLowar created WHDRun so I can't go changing that program

Also I think another reason we used zips is lha's are harder to repack, it's not so much a problem for games with no saving, but if you want to save your progress then I think re-lha'ing the files could well present a problem.

I've not really looked at this in a long time so apologies if I'm talking a load of cr@p

edit: I'm getting nowhere fast, I've spoken to eLowar and he says "although it may be possible to add lha support to whdrun he's not even sure how hard it is to build whdrun now. It hasn't been built in ages and he doubts the right library versions are still available so it might take an effort just to get it to build at all."
Belgarath
Keen Member
Keen Member

Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:06 pm

Also are you sure it's zip that is breaking things and not the windows filesystem itself? because whether it's zip or lha it's still going to be extracted to windows. I've compared the zip of Fightin' Spirit and the lha and upon extraction they look identical to me.

To get round the windows filesytem the problem games would have to be converted to hdf.
Retroplay
Cool Member
Cool Member

Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:11 pm

No worries.
It's just a matter of repacking the games in zip format, with the exception of the known "zip unfriendly" games (Fightin' Spirit, Embryo etc).
I just chose to go the lha route to avoid unexpected errors, just in case.

When the time comes give me a holler and I'll batch rezip whatever new games is needed.

[edit]
Yes, I'm sure.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=60229

I tried unzipping the game (Embryo) on my A1200 and the same thing happened.
Also, I never use anything but a PFS3-AIO formatted HDF in WinUAE when I install and test new WHD stuff for EAB FTP.
So, the files are never any where near FAT formatted drives.
Last edited by Retroplay on Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belgarath
Keen Member
Keen Member

Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:13 pm

Can you explain to me why Fightin' Spirit is zip unfriendly though? I really can't see why the zip would cause a problem where an lha would not?

Return to “Commodore Amiga - GameBase Amiga”