Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Portable GameBase Amiga v.2.3 - RePacked, Fixed & Enhanced by cnterr

Discuss the Commodore Amiga database that uses the GameBase Frontend.

Moderator: Jimbo

cnterr

Portable GameBase Amiga v.2.3 - RePacked, Fixed & Enhanced by cnterr

Sat May 08, 2021 9:20 pm

As the title suggests, I updated the release of Belgarath/hmueck by creating a new totally portable pack, fixed and improved from various points of view.

- I preconfigured the GameBase frontend and GameBase Amiga settings using relative paths only, so it can be placed in any folder without having to install anything (read how to do it at the bottom of the post).
- WinUAE has been updated to version 4.4.0.
- Revised and improved scripts, WinUAE settings and WinUAE config files ("GameBase Amiga.uae" and "WHDLoad.uae").
- Restored the "gemus.ini" file with new default settings, now you can choose between:

Screen autocenter (default) or normal;
Window mode, Fullscreen or Fulscreen with Bezel (default);
Bezel disabled, enabled without glare effect or with glare effect (default);
Selectable filters (CRT Curved filter is default);
Floppy drive emulation speed (800x is default)
Floppy drive sound emulation off or on (default).

- Created an Amiga 1200 themed realistic bezel.
- Added the effect "CRT-geom-curved.fx".
- Changed the path of the "GBGame" folder inside the root of GameBase (GameBase\GBGame) and the cleanup script, now the script runs completely invisibly when starting the game, waits during the whole execution and cleaning the "GBGame" folder when WinUAE will be closed.
- Having created several controller profiles, it is now possible to start a game using the modes:

1 player with Xbox 360 controller
2 players with Xbox 360 controller
1 player with joystick/gamepad
2 players with joystick/gamepad
1 player with X-Arcade (left side)
1 player with X-Arcade (pinball)
2 players with X-Arcade
1 player with keyboard (layout A)
1 player with keyboard (layout B)
1 player with keyboard (layout C)
2 players with Xbox 360 controller and keyboard (layout A)
2 players with Xbox 360 controller and keyboard (layout B)
2 players with Xbox 360 controller and keyboard (layout C)
2 players with joystick/gamepad and keyboard (layout A)
2 players with joystick/gamepad and keyboard (layout B)
2 players with joystick/gamepad and keyboard (layout C)
2 players with keyboard (layouts B and A)
2 players with keyboard (layouts C and A)
2 players with keyboard (layouts C and B)

- The Xbox 360 controller was created manually as a custom controller with the addition of numerous functions...

Has been set the right stick as a mouse, in this way starting a game with two controllers you will not have to switch from controller to mouse to move in the trainers screens, besides, the fire1/left mouse and fire 2/right mouse buttons have been mapped, as well as in the classic controller buttons, also on the two thumbs of the left and right sticks.
Remapped keys and hotkeys enabled:

Up, Down, Left, Right = Directional cross and left thumbs stick
Fire 1 = X*
Fire 2 = Y
Fire 3 = B
Up again = A* (awesome for platformers)
Quit = Back (quit WinUAE for floppy games and use quit button "* of numeric keypad" for WHDload games) (Player 1 only)
Enter GUI = Start (Player 1 only)
Savestate Dialog = LB (Player 1 only)
Resume Savestate Dialog = RB (Player 1 only)
Pause = LT
Warp = RT (Player 1 only)

*=I am convinced that the fire 1 button solution on the X key and jump button on the A key is the most comfortable solution for all platform games and in general that the use of the X key as fire 1 allows a more natural thumb position.

- The X-Arcade controller (no longer available after WinUAE 3.2.2 version) was recreated manually as a custom controller with remapped keys and the addition of numerous hotkeys:

Player 1 (left side)
Up, Down, Left, Right = Left joystick
Fire 1 = C
Fire 2 = Z
Fire 3 = X
Up again = Left Shift (awesome for platformers)
Enter GUI = 1
Quit = 2 (quit WinUAE for floppy games and use quit button "* of numeric keypad" for WHDload games)
Warp = Left Ctrl
Savestate Dialog = Left Alt
Resume Savestate Dialog = Space
Space Key = 6
Cursor Down Key = A
F1 Key = S
F2 Key = Q
Left Alt = 3
Right Alt = 4

Player 2 (right side)
Up, Down, Left, Right = Right joystick
Fire 1 = ]
Fire 2 = E
Fire 3 = [
Up again = W (awesome for platformers)

Attached to the post is the reference diagram of the X-Arcade controller in mode 1.

Notes:

After extracting the Gamebase in a folder of your choice (I always recommend the root of a hard drive, eg. C :, D :, E :, etc.), the first time you use it you will have to run the file "GBRegRun.exe" as administrator, then use the default "GameBase.exe" executable.

If you change the two WinUAE configuration files (GameBase Amiga.uae and WHDLoad.uae) or the emulator settings file (winuae.ini) and something stops working, you can restore them using the "GameBase.bat" script in the root of the GameBase, if you want you could also always run the GameBase through this script.

If you already have the GameBase installed you can simply extract the "Amiga 2.3", "GBGame" folders and the "GameBase.bat", "GameBase.ini" files inside your GameBase folder, overwriting the "GameBase.ini" file, this is important because the path to the "GBGame" folder referenced by the cleanup script has been specified within this ini file.

If you don't have an original or compatible Xbox 360 controller you should use joystick/gamepad launch profiles, you will lose the ability to use hotkeys but games will work fine. You can still try to use the custom controls created for Xbox 360 controllers but I can't tell you if they will work or how the keys will be mapped.

In single player mode, if a keyboard-only game is started, the controller will be excluded and only the mouse in port 1 will be left, if a lightgun game is started, the controller will be excluded and the mouse in port 2 will be enabled in "generic light pen/gun" mode.
FIXED - Unfortunately this behavior does not work correctly with WHDloads, this is because for almost all titles the mouse has been set as the controller and not the one actually used by the game, in the case therefore of keyboard or LightGun games started from WHDload you will have to manually disable controller or set mouse in port 2 with generic light pen/gun mode. Until someone gets the urge to fix the Access database, but it's hard work. - FIXED
Due to the aforementioned automatism, to use the X-Arcade controller with pinball games you will have to use the appropriate mode.

The two bezels work correctly with a resolution of 1920x1080 and are not suitable for use with the following filters:

scale2x
supereagle
super2xsai
2xsai

In this example only the autocenter function has been removed, the rest reflects the way the games will start by default if you do not act on the "gemus.ini" file:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOoRnGLIGjI

Download link:
https://emesrl20-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/ ... Q?e=KiL0Qs
Attachments
X-Arcade Layout.jpg
X-Arcade Layout.jpg (103.3 KiB) Viewed 43220 times
Last edited by cnterr on Wed May 12, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cnterr

Re: Portable GameBase Amiga v.2.3 - RePacked, Fixed & Enhanced by cnterr

Wed May 12, 2021 12:33 pm

I fixed the "control" values in WHDloads and SPS for keyboard and lightgun games, now even starting the games through WHDload or SPS the right controls are set.
I also marked several new games as favorites, there were too many famous titles missing, and of the already marked games I added their respective AGA versions to favorites and vice versa.

Download link:
https://emesrl20-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/ ... A?e=rWcnyg
hmueck

Wed May 12, 2021 4:44 pm

cnterr wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:33 pm
I fixed [...]
I also marked [...]
I added [...]
Do you have a changelog, so i can integrate your changes in the next version?
cnterr

Wed May 12, 2021 6:55 pm

Mmmh, now I can no longer say precisely...

In the database, as I said, I set the right control value in the Extra -> WHDloads section of the keyboard and lightgun games, the control value of the all WHDloads is in fact set to mouse. This does not affect the normal start of the games that use the joystick because they start with the first selection of the emulator list which forces the start with the Xbox 360 controller or joystick or X-Arcade etc. (based on what you choose to put in first place). For the keyboard or lightgun games, however, I have inserted some IF in the scripts that exclude the controllers or activate the mouse in port 2 if they find the control value set on keyboard or lightgun, so if the value is wrong the game starts without the ability to use the keyboard or mouse as a lightgun and this value is right in the main database that launch the floppy disk version of the games (also visible from the GameBase interface in the game details) but not for WHDloads.
Same thing for the SPS, but in this case most of the values ​​were already correct.

So, I fixed...
All control values ​​for WHDloads that use the keyboard only or lightgun.
Incorrect control values ​​for SPS that use the keyboard only or lightgun.

Marked ...
I didn't keep track of it I'm sorry, I went through all the titles and every time I found a classic I added it to the favorites.

Added ...
Nothing, I just made the changes just described to the database.
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Sun May 16, 2021 11:53 am

hmueck wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:44 pm
Do you have a changelog, so i can integrate your changes in the next version?
It would be very quick and easy to cut and paste all the EXTRAS GEMUS and control settings from this into your more official version.

If you can't do it?
i just need both MDB files uploaded. :wink:
hmueck

Sun May 16, 2021 6:12 pm

.mad. wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:53 am
If you can't do it?
i just need both MDB files uploaded. :wink:
I never tried. Which program are you using for that? MS Access?
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Sun May 16, 2021 6:53 pm

I use Access 2003 as it runs on XP and Win7 (not so much Win10).

All the GEMUS controls are stored in the Data column (see Pic).

You need to open both files at the same time, sort both lists by EXTRA ID.
copy the data column from the update and paste into your copy.

when finished you MUST, scan and fix errors with the GBToolbox, or gamebase will crash when you try to run it.

fair warning.
if one extra has been deleted, the list will be out of sync and totally messed up.
Attachments
extragemus.PNG
extragemus.PNG (5.49 KiB) Viewed 42945 times
C64Ever

Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:28 pm

Hi guys!

After looking and fiddling for a long time to find the working Amiga emulation solution, this is the closest thing to retro gaming holy grail. I'm still trying to find ideal display settings. Default "bezel" looks stunning at first, almost like "you're there", until the game starts and then you see it's just not how it's supposed to look. So I'd like to have standard emulator looks (whatever that is :). Some of the other setups result in glitches in-game, any recommendations for most stable/reliable setting? Also, gemus.ini doesn't apply if starting the game via WHDload. Whatever I do, it's always bezel thing this way.

And I find it strange some well known games don't have playable files, when they're freely available on various sites? Like, Manic Miner or Steel Empire? I have them saved locally so I guess I'll just have to chose them via ctrl+G, but that made me wonder if there's newer gamebase available?

Anyway, this is fantastic work, and thank you very much!
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:35 pm

Info about Bezel's and screen sizes here...
https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=99677

GameBase (my copy/script) is using a global standard screen size in all 3 game fileype sections.
ADF, HDF and WHD.
It was not written to use a bezel/overlay.

easiest way i can think of...
remove all gfx settings from the script.
run any game from the gamebase.
open winuae settings and edit the resoultion and bezel as you like it.
save the config (overwriting the WHDLoad.uae / GameBase Amiga.uae).
C64Ever

Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:56 pm

That's incredible resource behind that link, thank you very much :)

However, I know how to remove the bezel for one game (session), but it's there again next time I start it up via Gamebase. I can also make it permanent for that particular game by editing Gemus "key=value" pairs, but I want to make it global so I don't have to do it every time.

I can't simply chose Edit All Games in Current View in Gemus "key=value" pairs section because there are other settings as well and they would get overwritten for other games. So I hit the wall.

Sorry, I'm just not that knowledgeable about Gamebase, although I've been using it for years.
Seiya
Commended Member
Commended Member

Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:06 pm

C64Ever wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:28 pm

And I find it strange some well known games don't have playable files, when they're freely available on various sites? Like, Manic Miner or Steel Empire? I have them saved locally so I guess I'll just have to chose them via ctrl+G, but that made me wonder if there's newer gamebase available?
for example, Steel Empire there is, but it is the American version of Cyber Empires. So you find adf file and WHD files.

The problem is also that in gamebase Amiga there are some MIA games that are not avaialble for emulators. These game maybe exists in real disk, but never dumped in ADF.
C64Ever

Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:08 pm

Huh. But there, in fact, are .adf files available for many non-playable games in GB 2.3, so it simply turns out this gamebase needs to be updated. For instance, I have (not mine dump, but downloaded) adf's for:
Manic Miner
New York Warriors
Tiny Troops
Stun Runner - that one doesn't even have an entry in GB
Tom & Jerry - Hunting High and Low
Tornado
Gunship 2000 AGA
Heart of the Dragon
Gainforce
Whirligig
Reach for the Skies.
These are just some random games I found, there are probably many more.
C64Ever

Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:45 pm

I'll try to simplify my main problem, fully aware that I just might not be in the right thread, or that I should start dedicated one.

How do I make any changes in WinUAE started by Gamebase, permanent?

Most importantly, if I make PITA changes of gamepad buttons, customizing them to save/load states, they'll remain just for that session.

Any other restarts of the same game or loading another, and my changes are gone.

What should I do?
Seiya
Commended Member
Commended Member

Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:54 am

when you launch a game from Gamebase, open WinUAE panel with F12 and in configuration you should have a config called "gamebase".
everytime you make a modify that you want to do, you must save it overwriting that config and every time you load a game, it will use your own configuration.
C64Ever

Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:20 am

There weren't any configuration except indication .\Configurations\
So I created one, even naming it "gamebase" as you said, and there's even
"Gamebase WHDLoad default configuration" in Description box, but it still
loads the bezel, and doesn't load my button configuration. So I have to load
that configuration manually every time I start any game.

I'm familiar with that behavior from before. I always wandered how do I make
WINUae load configuration I want on itself without my intervention.

Return to “Commodore Amiga - GameBase Amiga”