Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Question about script paths

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

oknihcap
Keen Member
Keen Member

Question about script paths

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:35 am

I've been using gamebase for a while, now, and I love it. I have many different systems set up now. But I have been wondering lately if I have things set up correctly. Normally, I download a new gamebase, set up the proper paths and that's it, unless there is something specific which is mentioned for that specific gamebase.

But I'm wondering about scripts. When I click "Gemus", and select an emulator in the list, I notice that there is a path set up for the "GEMUS Script", and another place above it for "Script Files", which is usally empty. Sometimes, in the box under "GEMUS Script", there is information for how to set up that particular emulator:

Emulator File:
Associated Script File:
Use Short Filenames:
File Types:

Other times, that information isn't present. Am I right in saying that the "GEMUS Script" must always be pointed to the script located in the scripts folder of that gamebase, specifically for each emulator? It seems that is correct, because the text that appears in the box under "Gemus script" is the same text that appears in the text file in the scripts folder for that emulator. So the window is just showing what is in the script file, right? Sometimes there is info at the top of the script for setup, sometimes not.

So, what about the "Script Files" above the "GEMUS Script"? That always seems to be empty. Should that always be pointing to something? Is that for .ini files in individual emulators? Is it important to always have a path set for those? How do I know which file to point to for each?

I'm probably making this more complicated than it needs to be, but I'd appreciate it if somebody could explain what the Script Files path is for. Thanks.
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:23 am

You're answering your own questions! 8)

GEMUS Script points to the location where the script is stored. The contents of that script file are displayed in the large text box below it.

In most situations the GEMUS script does 1 or 2 things:
  • Send command line parameters to the emulator (like game name, -fullscreen, etc.)
  • Modify one or more config- or ini-files.
If there are files modified by the GEMUS script, you can do that in 2 ways:
  • Hard-coding the filename in the script, like

Code: Select all

Set CFG_Value(%emupath%\config.cfg||Setting||Value)
    This will add or modify Setting=Value in the text file config.cfg, located in the emulator program folder.
  • Reference to a config- or ini file specified in the associated script files section, for example

Code: Select all

Set CFG_Value(1||Setting||Value)
    This will do the same, but by modifying the first file listed in associated script files.
When the script doesn't make use of the second option, there is no need to specify an associated script file.

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”