Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Deleting games and extras from gamebase

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

manguan
Cool Member
Cool Member

Deleting games and extras from gamebase

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:18 pm

Some gamebases have several versions for the same game.
Is there any way to delete certain games with its screenchots, music and extras from gamebase frontend faster than with windows file explorer?
Thanks in advance.
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Re: Deleting games and extras from gamebase

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:41 pm

If you delete an entry via the actual Gamebase UI, then you also have the option to remove all the files (screenshot, extras etc) associated with the entry at the same time.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
manguan
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:08 am

Mayhem wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:41 pm
If you delete an entry via the actual Gamebase UI, then you also have the option to remove all the files (screenshot, extras etc) associated with the entry at the same time.
Finally I discovered that the key was not in the game right-click menu but File-Remove... What does not seem to work is to remove all the elements of a particular view, because it appears gray.
Thanks.
zx087

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:34 pm

Hi everyone!
How to delete multiple entries with games, pictures and other stuff from the base?
What am I talking about. At now, if I need to remove some entry I can do it only pressing "Delete" button or via menu "File -> Remove". But what should I do if I need to remove a 1000 entries? Hit the button these thousand times and completely crush my keyboard? :?
Hidron
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:31 pm

Is it a space issue? If you are just trying to clean up the game list in Gamebase, you can add your desired games to Favorites, and set that as your view.
I have a lot of respect for Gamebase creators, maintainers & supporters.
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:09 pm

zx087 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:34 pm
Hi everyone!
How to delete multiple entries with games, pictures and other stuff from the base?
What am I talking about. At now, if I need to remove some entry I can do it only pressing "Delete" button or via menu "File -> Remove". But what should I do if I need to remove a 1000 entries? Hit the button these thousand times and completely crush my keyboard? :?
The option to do this is greyed out...
Remove All Games /SIDs in current view...

This value is set to FALSE in the source code to stop people deleting everything by mistake.
You will need to recompile the code to enable it.

There is no other option to highlight a selection of games in the list and delete all files associated with them.

if it's only the extras you don't want due to HD space, delete all the EXTRAS you don't want (PDF files) from the folders. Then select verify available files from the menu to grey out the deleted extras options.

If you need to delete 1000's of games, it might be quicker to re-make the gamebase with the handful of games you would like to keep.
zx087

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Thanks for your replies.
I think I should give some explanation. I downloaded more than 20K thousand games from FTP and the base with pictures. I want to keep some of these games within base and remove ones I don't need. And now it's going on like this:
- game01, "Nope", del
- game02, "Nope", del
- game03, "Nope", del
- game04, "Nope", del
- game92, "Yep", next
- game93, "Nope", del
- game94, "Nope", del
- game167, "Nope", del
- game168, "f**k", DELDELDEL!!!

So, I'd like to keep only some games (about 500-600) within the base.
.mad. wrote:If you need to delete 1000's of games, it might be quicker to re-make the gamebase with the handful of games you would like to keep.
Sounds great. :) And how to re-make it?
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:07 pm

the quickest way to start a gamebase from scratch.
get a collection of disks or tapes with the full game name as the filename.
delete all the game files you don't want.
make a romcenter dat file (DIR to DAT) of the folder with all your wanted game files.
Run GBToolbox and import the romcenter dat file to create a MDB file with all the games linked.

then spend the next 10 years adding screenshots, extras and data. :wink:

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”