Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

XM1541 Cable to copy from 1541 to PC

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

tasteslikechicken47

XM1541 Cable to copy from 1541 to PC

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:54 pm

I just got the xm1541 cable....i have my 1541 drive..I hooked it up to the LPT1 port on my PC....Now what?
I have several programs (most for DOS) and im just not sure how to go about getting the disks into d64 images.....I dont "see" where to point the computer in terms of finding the 1541 drive,,Its not seen on "My Computer", so im not sure what to do..
Any help on settings, the software/drivers i should have
Thanks a LOt! AND IM really looking forward to getting some of these progs into my PC
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:21 pm

I assume you are using Win NT/2K/XP.
Download OpenCBM and unzip it to a folder of your choice. Open the Command prompt and go to the folder where your OpenCBM files are. In the subfolder EXE you will find a file instcbm.exe. Start this program by typing instcbm.
If the installation of the driver is successful, your 1541 will now be accessible from the command prompt. To make it easier to do basic things like transferring D64 images from and to a real diskette, you can download GUI4CBM4WIN. Unzip it to the EXE folder from OpenCBM and launch GUI4CBM4WIN. You will see a simple graphical interface that will allow you to transfer files and complete disks from and to the 1541.
tasteslikechicken47

Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:57 pm

THanx soooo much KC.....one slight problem , though
I got everything working, except.....it wont transfer the files to .D64....i scan the directory, and try to output the whole disk, or even just one prg to a .D64, and the drive seems like its working, then just keeps going, and going, .....any suggestions?
thanks again
glad i got this far :P :idea: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Return to “GB64 Help!”