Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Sound Settings in WinVICE64 v2.2...?

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

The Lord of the Flies
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sound Settings in WinVICE64 v2.2...?

Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:05 am

I have a SoundBlaster Live! card in my computer and I was wondering if tweaking the sound settings in WinVICE64 v2.2 would change/improve anything.

When I go to Settings > Sound Settings, there's a couple of radio buttons, one that says "DirectX driver" and the other says "WMM driver". Er, I dunno which of those I should tick, assuming that I should be messing with them. Below that there are four drop-down menus. The topmost one says "Sample Frequency:" and I changed that to the value of 44,100Hz. I don't think I fooled with the other three: I'm not sure what those really mean that I would bother with them....

So with that SoundBlaster Live! card in my computer, what should I do with WinVICE64's sound settings, if anything?

Thanks in advance! :)
The Lord of the Flies
Keen Member
Keen Member

Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:57 pm

Oh BTW, the SoundBlaster Live! card utilizes first generation EAX. Heh, I forgot to mention that, assuming it's relevant.
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:11 pm

for the best sound quality, i would suggest using these settings.

Frequency - 96000 Hz
Buffer - 350 msec
Synchronization - Exact

if you are wondering if you can make the SID Chip sound
7.1 surround Dolby digital THX.

i think the simple answer is no.
the SID is Emulated to be as 100% accurate as the real C64.

there a remixes of SID tunes in MP3 that will sound nice with your sound card though. :wink:
The Lord of the Flies
Keen Member
Keen Member

Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:09 am

Oh, thank you! I was beginning to wonder if anyone would help me. :cry: But you help me! YAAAAY! :D Thank you, thank you! :)

Oh, yeah I'm not worried about the SID per se sounding like EAX ver., like, 9.9 with quadrophonic super-duper surround-sound with Dolby hyper-digital subwoofers, etc. I, too, prefer the SID emulation to be 100% accurate hehehe OTOH, I'm gonna make those settings you suggested and see what it sounds like then. I bet it's gonna sound good hehehe (Ya know I never had anything special added to the sound when I had a real C64, so I bet now the like-real 64 will sound better than it ever has to me hehehe)
The Lord of the Flies
Keen Member
Keen Member

Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:03 pm

Oh, I get it: Just jack everything up to the max while leaving the radio-buttons alone. Cool!

Well I did that and it does sound very good. The change is a bit subtle, but I could tell the difference. The sound is much smoother and more clear. The sounds fading out after the Release is for longer. It sounds great! Never before has my C64 (even though it's emulated) sounded so nice!

Thanks again, man! :D

Return to “GB64 Help!”