Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Gamebase 64 v08 FILETORUN field not set

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

throwingmuse

Gamebase 64 v08 FILETORUN field not set

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:59 pm

In the GBC_v08.mdb file, approximately 95% of the values in the FILETORUN field are blank. A manual update of the field using the GB interface is required to launch a game. Is this the intended functionality (i.e. manual user selection) or should the FILETORUN field be set with the correct value in the database initially?
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:29 pm

most games are split to their own disk or tape, rather than on compilation disks.
The first file on the disk is always run as the default, so the file to run is not needed in most cases.

but that's not to say a couple of disk games may have been missed.
throwingmuse

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:12 am

The behavior of my instance of Gamebase 1.3 with GBC_v08 is that I am not presented with an active "Play Game" button in the frontend when I select a game from the game list. I am forced to configure the game with Ctrl-G. I do not have to explicitly select an image name to run after I select Ctrl-G; the act of selecting Ctrl-G enables the "Play Game" button after I click "OK."

If I open the GBC_v08.mdb file after this scenario described above, I see a value in FILETORUN. The corresponding active "Play Game" button in the Gamebase front-end suggests there is a relationship to a populated FILETORUN field and an active "Play Game" button.

If this is not the intended functionality, why are all of my "Play Game" buttons inactive until I perform the steps listed above?
Michael Plate
GB64 Team

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:15 pm

Tools/Verify Available Files
should do the trick as mentioned in the DB installer window.

/Michael
Hidron
Cool Member
Cool Member

Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:15 pm

I had to break down & install something to read the file. You are correct that the FileToRun field is mostly blank, but every game I have tried to start has worked fine using WinVICE (my prefered emulator).

I have played with most of the gamebases I know about, and the only similar problem I have ever had was with the Apple2Mania gamebase where most of the GS games don't start as expected, although I still have the Play button available on them. Setting it to use the proper game file fixes them though just like you are doing on the C64 gamebase.

The only times I have personally seen the Play Game button not active, either the emulator wasn't set up yet within the gamebase, or the Tools/Verify fixed it.
throwingmuse

Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:00 am

Yes, Tools > Verify fixed it. Thanks!

Return to “GB64 Help!”