Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

FTP file access from browsers

This is the place for your GB64.COM feature requests and bug submissions!

Moderator: Jimbo

SpaceIke

FTP file access from browsers

Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:30 am

Hi,
I have been using GB64 for years and really love this site / forum.

I upgraded to the latest version of Firefox the other day and lost my ability to access files from the FTP site. After some googling, I fixed the issue for now, but it appears that Firefox, Google and Bing are very quickly working towards a timeline of depreciating full ftp access
Chrome
=====
* M91 - FTP support removed from codebase. (Updated: Previously code removal was slated for M88. It is now targeting M91)
Edge
====
Don't use it , but MS site sates "In general, Microsoft Edge* does not support connection to an FTP server. We recommend installing Internet Explorer to continue using the FTP function"
Firefox
=====
FTP support turned off by default in Firefox 88 (current version), however 88 & 89 can have FTP restored through retained settings. However, version 90 (eta end June) will not support FTP protocol

I was wondering if there is any updates from GB64 on how we will be able to access these files in the future?
RetroJJ

Re: FTP file access from browsers

Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:31 am

Internet Explorer works, but it's not a great long-term solution.

FileZilla, though, is a great, free option. :)
plugh83

Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:58 pm

In Chrome type chrome://flags in the address bar
Go to Enable support for FTP URLs
Select enabled in the drop down list and relaunch
Robotron 2084

Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:16 am

With ftp support now being completely discontinued from all major browsers and the necessity of now having to use ftp clients to access individual games, gamebase64 has lost a lot of its relevance, at least for me. Being able to comfortably browse and try out stuff has always been the main attraction of this site. Please consider transferring the files to https for better accessibility.
Baracuda
Cool Member
Cool Member

Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:19 am

yes please bring these site to https and i am with Robotron 2084.
Please consider transferring the files to https for better accessibility.
namor18

Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:44 pm

a good workaround is to install a download manager, in my case i installed flashget, after is installed is just matter of right clicking the links and select copy url to clipboard and the download manager will grab the link so that you can download it

Return to “The GB64 Website”