Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

How to set up Gamebase ST

Discuss the Atari ST database that uses the GameBase Frontend.

Moderators: Jimbo, Cord, Paul Thompson

zman

How to set up Gamebase ST

Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:12 pm

So it don't work... What's the deal...

I downloaded and installed the files in order, however nothing works. The Gamebase does not find any of the games, screenshots, etc. The frontend sucks... Where is the faq or help file. Where is the options to locate directories for the information needed to run Gamebase St properly.

So anyone able to show a faq or howto on getting this frontend set up properly would be appreciated.
Paul Thompson
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:05 pm

Since you obviously don't like the Gamebase frontend I really see no point answering your question :roll:

I suggest you are more polite next time since people have spent countless hours creating Gamebase's :!:
zman

Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:36 pm

Allright every one working on Gamebase deserves an apology from me for my previous statements.

It's frustrating when there is limited documentation available when the program doesn't work according to specs.

Gamebase is a very good frontend program. The installation sucks for me.

I know what the installation is doing wrong now (or me), I just can't get the dang thing to install correctly without me intevening and hacking in the path file information.

Here's how I'm installing and what actually is occuring at each point.

1. I install the main program first "GB v11 Setup Full".
2. Then I use the GBToolbox and creat a new folder for GamebaseST.
3. I'll call this "Gamebase".
4. So far so good.
5. Then I extract the GBST v1.2b.zip file to the "Gamebase" directory.
6. Then I extract the GBST v1.2 Archive.zip to the "Gamebase" directory.
7. Now this is what is wrong. Four seperate directories.
a) Gamebase installed from GB setup.
b) Gamebase subdirectory when I used GBToolbox..
c) GBST V1.2 when I extracted that zip file.
d) GamebaseST when I extracted the Archive file.

So then I manually pushed ever over to one "Gamebase" directoy and have to edit the ini files to get the paths correct to use the frontend.

So where am I going wrong.

Thanks for the responses, I'll try to be more curtious in the future. The frustration level has subscided as I've learned to somewhat piece this frontend program together.
Paul Thompson
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:07 am

Hi Zman

GamebaseST v1.2b was released in beta form and so that is why there is next to no documentaion. However, setting it up really is quite simple but obviously few steps of configuration are required.

The absolutely no need for you touch GBToolbox since its not used for installing or using GamebaseST. I suggest that you remove the Gamebase frontend and reinstall it before following the steps below, since I have no idea what changes you have made to the Gamebase configuration files.

OK, you should now have clean uinstall of the Gamebase frontend, which is normally in C:\Program Files\Gamebase.

1) Unzip the GBST v1.2b.zip file into the Gamebase folder, you should now have C:\Program Files\Gamebase\GBST v1.2b

2) Unpack GBST v1.2 Archive.zip to any location, for example C:\GamebaseST.

3) Launch the Gamebase (not GBToolbox) by clicking its icon. You should see the GamebaseST splash screen followed by the GamebaseST frontend displaying a list of games.

4) From the GamebaseST frontend select the tools pulldown menu then select Paths... Please enter the paths where you installed GBST v1.2 Archive.zip, in my example C:\GamebaseST. So the games would be located in C:\GamebaseST\Games, music would be located in C:\GamebaseST\Music, pictures would be located in C:\GamebaseST\Screenshots, etc.

5) Close down GamebaseST and then restart it, you should now see screenshots for each game. Go to the tools menu and select Verify Available files... Click on the all the boxes and select start. When finished GamebaseST will tell you it as found all the files needed.

Let me know how you get on with the above? The final stage is setting up the emulators which I will go through once I know your OK so far!
zman

Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:43 am

Thank you for the info. I will post my results as soon as I am able to do this installation. It might be a few days from now so be patient. In the meantime. I had hacked my way to a front end of some signifance and was using the front end at least, but like I said , as soon as I get time I'll do a clean install with your instructions. I'll also wait to see what you have to say about the emulator install, but I do believe I have that part down. Once again thank you for the instructions.

Time fly's...

I was able to follow your instructions sort of. Anyways, the end result I get no matter what method I use. Gamebase as the main directory with gamebase.exe in it. Atari ST as a subdirectory with the frontend info. GamebaseST as another subdirectory from the archive.

I suppose if I use Comodore64. I would use C64 as a sub directory for the frontend info and games.
fmundie

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:11 am

Hi, i've just downloaded GBST and it looks awesome, i got addicted to a dozen or so of these ST games when i was a kid and when i stumbled upon GBST i was over the moon.

Dunno if i'm super unco (actually i do know that), but i've followed the instructions as above and it all looks as i believe it should (i can see the game list and the screenshots on the right) however when i try to launch a game it says that the emulator can't be found. I've tried a few basic things in the GEMUS menu but it won't seem to install the ST emulator from the Wizard.

I realise that this is a very old thread but if anyone could explain the next (and presumably last) step i'd appreciate it.

Big thanks to the guys (gals?) who created this awesome homage to the ST 8)

Return to “Atari ST - GameBaseST”