Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Clrmame Romcenter Dats?

Discuss the Atari ST database that uses the GameBase Frontend.

Moderators: Jimbo, Cord, Paul Thompson

ra
radman

Please can we have a dat for GamebaseZX :)

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:05 am

I have unfortunately renamed nearly all of the games from the WOS using the tosec renamer. If you could provide a dat file for the gamebaseZX collection then I would be able to rename them all back and not have to redownload everything again. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will have this problem.
ra
radman

Please can we have a dat for GamebaseZX :)

Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:06 am

I have unfortunately renamed nearly all of the games from the WOS using the tosec renamer. If you could provide a dat file for the gamebaseZX collection then I would be able to rename them all back and not have to redownload everything again. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will have this problem.
Gu

Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:12 pm

Actually that was one of my problems with Gamebase64 and now GamebaseST... they still consider pirated copies and "altered" versions to be "collectable" and "good". That's not much diferent from Tosec as you put it IMO.
So far only CAPS project is doing the real preservation work, which is a shame since many platforms are really in need of some serious preservation before it's too late (namely the C64) and as long as ppl keep distributing converted, cracked and trained versions of games many won't care about the original they could have in a trunk down in the basement... and could be priceless...
I know the C64 is almost beyond hope nowadays since disks are failing and so far many protections are still impossible to circunvent using standard methods (or any method for that matter). But Atari and Amiga could still have a chance... and as long as databases and distribution channels keep using the cracked and pirated versions not much efford will be put into real original preservation... I hope more groups would use CAPS-like methods and motivation...
Paul Thompson
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:58 pm

Hi Guest

I hear what your saying and to some extent agree, but there are two main problems with using CAPS:

1) Because the games are in thier original non-cracked state they will have some form of protection. In most cases this will be to get the user to type a word in from the manual, or even click on the correct symbol displayed from a code wheel. I think people would soon get cheesed off if they had to look these up these every time they wanted to play a a game in GBST. That is of course if the manual is included with the database!

2) The CAPS Project (correct me if I'm wrong) does not currently have a plug-in for any Atari ST emulator to run CAPS images. Even if they have done one no current emulator supports it. I know WinUAE supports CAPS through a plug-in for the Amiga.

I am all in favour of CAPS for preservation, but even if an ST emulator had support for CAPS I don't think it's feasable to go that way for the reason outlined. This is mainly an issue with the ST and Amiga, not so much for the the C64 and Spectrum. In fact GBZX uses perfect TZX images because protection was mainly in the loading scheme which emulators can handle.
DaveT

Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:57 pm

Well, even if the protections are a pain it's altogether a good reason to preserve the rest of the games too, not only the disks. I for one am in favour of hi-res scans of manuals, datasheets, code-wheels, boxes, etc.
Why? Because it's added value. I mean, many adventure games had hint books, manuals with history and backgroud stories that truly were a plus in the gameplay...why not include them? Sure using a scanned codewheel can be a pain but the CAPS team is actually looking into it (also simplistic protections like those in the old days are very easy to re-code and create "code/serial-generators".
Since using the original media is becoming quite un-practical and most of the preserved media is going to be used in emulators having a pdf open to search for a word in a manual is not that much of a problem.
And I didn't mean to use CAPS for ST games... more a CAPS aproach to the preservation. I love the games but also the covers, the bits and pieces that made a game something I remember today.
DaveT

Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:52 pm

Here's something new (supprted by Steem?):
http://pasti.fxatari.com/
Gu

Brilliant

Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:10 am

That is absolutly 1337 how did u do that?

no-download online gambling 444 Online Gambling
bdlin

Re: Clrmame Romcenter Dats?

Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:33 pm

hello to all
bdlin

Re: Clrmame Romcenter Dats?

Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:40 pm

Hello everyone, in my capacity as SEO I was able to realize that many of the things that are said here have a good relevance in terms of the subject, especially when they mention that only CAPS project is doing the real preservation work, which is a shame since many platforms are really in need of some serious preservation before it's too late (namely the C64) and as long as ppl keep distributing converted, cracked and trained versions of games many won't care about the original they could have in a trunk down in the basement ... and could be priceless

Return to “Atari ST - GameBaseST”