Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Is this project dead

Discuss the ZX Spectrum database that uses the GameBase Frontend.

Moderators: Jimbo, Paul Thompson, hillelr

Cirrus698

Is this project dead

Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:01 pm

Just wondering because there hasn't been any updates for a long time
Paul Thompson
Keen Member
Keen Member

Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:51 am

Hi Cirrus698

All my time is geared towards GamebaseST is likely to remain so for the foreseeable future. There are few reasons for this:

1) Someone decided to develop another GamebaseZX without even having the courtesy of contacting me (even using the same name) to see if we could collaborate. This person even used my GBZX setup (graphics, scripts, etc) when setting up his own database, even my name and email are still in his version. This person has even advertised 'his' GamebaseZX in this forumn depsite me being the moderator!!! If only he would have contacted me before doing this then we could have joined forces and GamebaseZX could have moved forward!

I see no point in creating two GBZX's and so I put it on hold with the possibility of abandoning it completely depending on what this other project is going to do with my Gamebase in the future!

2) Lack of interest from the Gamebase and World of Spectrum forums was another key factor. With a large project like this you need all the support and feedback you can get. Frankly all I have got (with the exception a couple of good comments) was virtually NO feedback at all. You can imagine after hours and hours of creating GBZX how this feels!

3) Since I started GamebaseST I have had non-stop support from the Atari Legend team and also from its users on their forums. This has had the effect of me concentrating on GamebaseST because I know its being appreciated.

Again, virtually no feedback from the Gamebase forums (one comment) for gamebaseST despite a massive update from the previous version, GamebaseST is the second biggest Gamebase project with over 1.5gb of games and other data. This leads me to believe that there is no interest in the Gamebase forums for either GBST or GBZX, which is a absolute shame since Gamebase is intended for other platforms also, not just the Commodore 64.

Sorry if this email seems negative but I just needed to get it all off my chest. The above are the reasons GBZX is on hold and why I virtually never post on these forums anymore!
Pugsy
GB64 Team

Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:55 pm

Well the GBZX guy is taking the P###, there's always one to spoil it. I think the lack of interest from the Gamebase forums in GBZX and GBST is mainly down to the fact that the forums are frequented more by people with a love just for the C64...that should hopefully be dilluted more and more as other GameBases mature. I can't understand the lack of interest from the WoS forums....I would have hoped that some volunteers would have come forward to help. On the bright side GBZX's lost is GBST's gain.

The support AND appreciation of an active forum community is essential to any big GameBase project and the Atari Legends forum is the Lemon of the Atari world. The feedback on the new GBST version in the GBST forum on here is frankly terrible, but it is still early days..it's a big download and like I mentioned these forums are still predominantly visited by old C64 users.

I think that the new GBST is great (though I'm biased as actively used the ST for 8 years and I still have 3 old STs in the attic along with my c64s). If it wasn't for being busy with other projects I'd love to volunteer to help out....
Gamebase64 Team Member http://www.gamebase64.com
Ex-freelance cheat listing/pokes contributer to Zzap, CF, CU & ACE
MAME Cheat File Maintainer http://www.mamecheat.co.uk
Cirrus698

Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:23 pm

Hi Paul Thompson

It's sad if this project has come to an end like this, I had been looking forward to see this project in progress.

But if this other guy is building a gamebase on your previous work isn't there anything you can do? copyright rights. etc..?

I'm a previous ZX & C64 owner and I think Gamebase64 to be great, and I use it alot, therefore I loved to see GamebaseZx completed.

Hope somehing positive will happen with this project in near future
Gu

Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:13 pm

Cirrus698 wrote:Hi Paul Thompson

But if this other guy is building a gamebase on your previous work isn't there anything you can do? copyright rights. etc..?
Hope somehing positive will happen with this project in near future
I suppose there is nothing that can be done really regarding copyright especially as it mostly involves old games etc and the GameBase program (created by someone else).

Of course what this person has done is very wrong - I can see how Paul must be really p____ off with the whole thing. Similarly I would have hoped that the people over at WoS would have been more willing to help (especially the people who make TZX's and archive stuff). Maybe it's a case of them not liking people entering the scene. We'll probably never know...

I do hope that you return to the project one day Paul.
arthur_gill@hotmaIl.com
Cool Member
Cool Member

guilty as charged!

Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:39 pm

As a firm user of al the gamebase databases, I also only give the odd bit of feedback.
To be fair, there are so few updates to any of the databases that there are not too many forum posts anyway.
I am a HUGE fan of the ST database, and was hoping that the ZX one also woudl grow to natural fruition.
I am sorry that you are not getting much feedback for the ST database, and can understand your feelings on the ZX 'developments'.

I can only say , that any and ALL contributions, are always appreciated by this retro fan.
Paul Thompson
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:49 am

Many thanks to everyone who posted in this thread and for the comments of encouragement posted :D I would just like to assure everyone that GBST is still being developed and will be to the very end, if there can be an end to a project like this. GBST really has taken on a life of its own and I can see nothing that will stop its development. The project is already about 1/3 done with 1575 games out of 4541 known ST games already in the database. I know it’s a long haul and there have only been two releases but I hope that everyone understands that the whole thing is very time consuming. I could have done it a lot faster and used TOSEC files, but I believe the ST deserves better than this and so 90% of the games in GBST have been re-mastered (unpacked, intros removed, boot-sectors removed, etc, etc). This has led to a database that is unique (just like GB64) with the best possible images of ST games.

I am sorry about GBZX but I am open to offers with it, if anyone wants to take over the development and do it justice then please contact me!!! In a lot of ways the development of GBZX is a breeze because 99% of the protection in games was in the loading scheme which emulators can handle, and so to add a game in GBZX you simple add another TZX game and you know your using the best version possible. There are always exceptions to this, like Elite which using the infamous lenslock, and so a cracked version must be sourced in these instances.

Again, many thanks for all your comments :D
Gu

Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:00 am

Paul, I know for a fact that *many* people think your project is ace. Maybe people haven't said it in so many words or provided you feedback o n this. As a regular on the WoS forums I've seen many people ask for gaming frontends and invariably gamebaseZX is seen in a good light.

The problem with little help from the forums towards the project is that most of the people on the WoS forums are end-users who just want to use it. So while you may not have recieved help for the project, it's not that people aren't appreciative of your efforts. I do not presume to speak for everyone but I would like to think I'm right , knowing the community.

You also need to keep the project in the news. People usually gravitate towards a project that's recieving regular updates. Recently WoS started it's own PDF magazine called ZX Shed. Maybe some write-up in this regarding the database may help perk up interest in the project?

Cheers!

-Arjun

Return to “Sinclair ZX Spectrum - GameBaseZX”