Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

importing publishers lists between dbs

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

mu
muki (guest)

importing publishers lists between dbs

Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:53 am

i am currently working on a sfc/snes and fc/nes db and as many of the publishers are common to both systems, was wondering if i could somehow import the list across from one dbase to another?
Ju
Juunanagou

hi

Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:56 am

hi, i'm working on one too,
would you like to team together?

i'm only doing a Japanese-only list though...i don't have any american games on my list
Gu

Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:36 am

sorry for the late reply; i had given up on receiving one:p
anyway, i don't have a lot of time to do things now (work, real life etc- those minor things) but if you'd like i'd be glad to help you/team up.

kamaitachii@excite.coNOSPAM.jp (just remove the NOSPAM bit)
J2003C
GB64 Team

Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:08 pm

The only way I can think of to port Publisher, Programmer, Musician, etc. lists is to use MS Access to copy a list. This assumes you know how to use Access and have the right version (the GB database is the old Access version). In other words, it ain't easy! Sorry.
-J2010C-
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:55 pm

Assuming you have MS Access, I have found that one way is to export the db table to an Excel file, then import it right back into your new database using MS Access. This works works for the simpler tables (without toggle switches). Importing into the 'Games' table is a bit of a nightmare since it is littered with toggles, but it can be done by cutting and pasting one column at a time Excel to Access - Phew.

As J2003C suggests, if you use Office2000 or above, you will need to convert your newly created .mdb file to the current version of MS Access before you can work on it.You can do this in Access it’self by clicking
‘Tools->Database Utilities->Convert Database’.
I've found there's no need to convert the file back to Office97 format when you are finished, Gamebase seems to cope with it fine.
mu
muki (guest)

Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:48 pm

thanks a lot for that
very helpful info. :D

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”