Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Thanks and Pinball

Discuss any other databases that use the GameBase Frontend, whether in pre development, development or publically released.

Moderator: Jimbo

Vic20Ian

Thanks and Pinball

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:03 pm

Thanks to all the Gamebase creators. I have enjoyed looking through some of them...still some more to find like the Dragon but in the meantime I started looking at creating one myself.

I never had much success with Virtual Pinball and read the threads on here with similar comments.

I searched some sites and found Future Pinball and have started creating a Gamebase and testing each table. It works very well so far.

Is there a way to scan the directory and create entries automagically or do I have to add each one by hand?

If someone has already done this Gamebase then please let me know, otherwise I will keep going and upload soon.

Cheers
Vic20Ian
OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Re: Thanks and Pinball

Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:27 pm

Hi Vic20Ian good to welcome a new GB creator, A Pinball Gamebase sounds like a great idea and not been done as far as I know so crack on with it :D

Unfortunately there are no Gamebase tools afaik that will scan a rom or game image directory and populate a database on it's findings, It's something we've all wanted in order to cut down on the labourious task of adding game entries tbh, maybe in the next GB version?

Just one thing learned from experience - keep up to date backups :wink:
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:24 am

Vic20Ian wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:03 pm
Is there a way to scan the directory and create entries automagically or do I have to add each one by hand?
If you just want to link 1000's of ZIP files.

You scan the folder with RomCenter or CLMAMEPRO DIR to DAT.
Then you can import the RC dat into GameBase.
GameBase only reads old RC v2.50 dat files, so you will need to convert the .dat with datutil.exe and edit the version number in the created dat file to 2.0. before gamebase will accept it.

This will make the GameBase 'game name' the same as the ZIP name.
it can be a problem if the zip filenames are short or just numbers.
as you will need to edit all the game names afterwards. But all files will be linked. :)

Another way is to use dir to text from the windows command line.
from the root of your games folder enter.

Code: Select all

dir /s >listmyfolder.txt
this will generate a list of all files and folders and sub folders in a directory tree.
you can then use various text utils to copy the ilnes you want.
example: all lines containing ".zip"
then paste that into the MDB [filename] column using Microsoft Access 2003.
manguan
Cool Member
Cool Member

Wed May 15, 2019 11:26 am

Any progress in this GameBase? :D
Andyman
Keen Member
Keen Member

Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:11 pm

So, last night, the idea of a virtual pinball GameBase literally woke me up out of a sound sleep at 3am. :lol:

I think GameBase is the perfect platform for an all-in-one Visual Pinball / Visual PinMAME / Future Pinball project, and I thought maybe somebody had already started such a project. So, I did a search, and well... here I am.

Does anyone know what the status of this project is? Thanks for any info you may have!

Return to “Other GameBase Projects”