Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

MS-DOS Goldies

Discuss any other databases that use the GameBase Frontend, whether in pre development, development or publically released.

Moderator: Jimbo

Seiya
Commended Member
Commended Member

Re: MS-DOS Goldies

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:43 am

Many games are unpacked because access to zip CD-ROM iso is very slow and i have also set to save zip file when you exit from emulator and with big size iso is very very slow.
And also i try to find some good compressor, but when you 600 MB iso and compressed is 590, is useless to continue in that way.

in the end there are 151 text only adventures games

screenshot are small because they are taken from Dosbox. If a game is in 320x200, the image is very small. i don't like to change resolution because some times you lost some quality and i don't know if is good idea to do it.
Last edited by Seiya on Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Seiya
Commended Member
Commended Member

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:48 am

mrsambo wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:12 pm
Hi Seiya!
I tried to send you a private message, but it seems you've not read it.
I've downloaded the MsDos Goldies base (249gb) and i've added it to my gamebase that already includes C64 and AMIGA.
Now, i've setted the various paths, but it shows me no games! I've tried to use the wizard too, but it doesn't start because it miss the gemus.dat file.
Can you (or any other mate here) help me to set all at his best please?
I hope to solve this thing as soon as possible! Thank you so much for your attention and sorry for my poor english!
Cheers!

Marco
i answered you on Italian forum :)

however maybe the path is wrong in rar archive:

the path must be this (example):

c:\gamebase
ms-dos goldies

and not

c:\gamebase
ms-dos goldies
ms-dos goldies
lugum

Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:41 pm

Seiya wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:43 am
Many games are unpacked because access to zip CD-ROM iso is very slow and i have also set to save zip file when you exit from emulator and with big size iso is very very slow.
And also i try to find some good compressor, but when you 600 MB iso and compressed is 590, is useless to continue in that way.

in the end there are 151 text only adventures games

screenshot are small because they are taken from Dosbox. If a game is in 320x200, the image is very small. i don't like to change resolution because some times you lost some quality and i don't know if is good idea to do it.
Can't you borrow them from sites like mobygames (maybe you can use a webcrawler on it) or borrow it from the exodos collection? There are so many already out there.
Seiya
Commended Member
Commended Member

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:35 pm

I want to make myself screenshot even if are little in resoluzion. Also because if you look at from Gamebase you can see enough well. However, i see if i can made some modification and if it works you have new picture in better resolution.
lugum

Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:27 pm

Seiya wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:35 pm
I want to make myself screenshot even if are little in resoluzion. Also because if you look at from Gamebase you can see enough well. However, i see if i can made some modification and if it works you have new picture in better resolution.
Thank you, and if i am not asking much is there not another way for other sources (such as archives.org, newsgroups or a private torrent tracker)? The torrents started at a nice speed, but half way dropped to 300kb/s and the updates at 10kb/s and i know it's also depending on seeders but 10kb/s is kinda bad.
Seiya
Commended Member
Commended Member

Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:12 am

private torrent i don't like and cloud are not trusted so much. i upload small files like gb trilogy update, but for big size i prefere torrent. i know that these tracker are very slow. unfortunately are closed so much good torrent site very fast. i'd like to find something more fast..but there is a mess in p2p
lugum

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:14 pm

lugum wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:14 pm
Seiya wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:12 am
private torrent i don't like and cloud are not trusted so much. i upload small files like gb trilogy update, but for big size i prefere torrent. i know that these tracker are very slow. unfortunately are closed so much good torrent site very fast. i'd like to find something more fast..but there is a mess in p2p
Well i got to learn about your collection from a private retro focused torrent site actually, guessing it wasn't you who uploaded it (or condoned it), i was half way with that torrent, but that site went down and it's unclear atm if it will come back.
And i don't know what your problem is with such sites, but that one would have actually been a perfect place as they also just don't let anyone in, and could bring nice speeds.

If you would upload it to newsgroup (and same for a cloud), you could just name it some random letters like some groups do like fehwofheoinfnew as long we know here, what group, what name, it's not really a cloud cloud, and i don't think you could get in trouble over it over legal troubles, and the speeds there would also atleast be constant since you don't have to rely on seeders.

I can't remember speeds, but i used https://soulseek-client.nl.softonic.com/ for some time, and you can invite people personally to form sort of private group, without everyone just downloading from you, and it's not just for music, i transferred old soap clips with that person back then (although that was 1:1 dunno how it would go with many people).
Eitherway still hope you can find something eventually.
Seiya
Commended Member
Commended Member

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:05 pm

however for now i prefere to continue with torrent. And also because i have some free account so i cannot upload big file in size.
For the screenshots what is the best resoluzion to use?
lugum

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:06 pm

Seiya wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:05 pm
however for now i prefere to continue with torrent. And also because i have some free account so i cannot upload big file in size.
For the screenshots what is the best resoluzion to use?
The bigger the better, but even if it was just a little bigger then now.

I am taking a quick look at some of my gamebase collections, with c64 they are also very small, similiar to what you have now, but for example a playstation 1 collection has 1900x1200 resolutions.
But when you zoom in gamebase it doesn't seem to make them bigger though (thought they did, but it's been awhile since i actually used Gamebase), so i guess it really would be just for if you want to dig through them manually (if you want to put effort for that).
Maybe in between 1280×720 or 1480x960?
Seiya
Commended Member
Commended Member

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:53 pm

not a problem for that resolution, but if before was 700 MB, after could be 2 GB
Seiya
Commended Member
Commended Member

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:49 pm

News converted 1280x720 screenshot now are 7,2 GB. I think too much. It is better to have in original size :)
lugum

Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:43 pm

Seiya wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:49 pm
News converted 1280x720 screenshot now are 7,2 GB. I think too much. It is better to have in original size :)
Well if you download over 600gb of games what's another 7,2 gb :lol:, but are they jpg/png, mix? compressing them in the right way sure can help, i think that could be alot lower.

I have looked now at the exodos collection (a very respectful one i might add) he uses screenshots on average about 640x480, you got a mix of 640x480 those look atleast better (i mean you can actually make something out of it without having to press your nose on the screen) then the 320x240 you also have, if atleast those could get double their resolution that should also not make it that much bigger atleast in file size.
Seiya
Commended Member
Commended Member

Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:15 am

i think that if you have windows, you can resize screenshot yoursefl. There is many software freeware that make a batch to have all file risized without change names or extension.

file.jpg --- file.jpg

the first in 320x200 --- 640x480

now i have take so much time to resize that in 1280x720.

Try yourself making a backup. If you fail. i resize myself actual screenshots.
mrsambo

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:02 pm

Hi all!
I'm very sorry to ask anyone of you if it's possible reseed the "big" updates from 3 to 8...i've completed the main download and the first 2 updates, but the remaining parts are soooooooo slow. Please, if you can, help me to finish!!
Thank you very much!!

Cheers

Marco
lugum

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:27 am

Yeah i don't have no problem doing it myself but increasing sizes from a very low image size will just result in quality losses, unlike decreasing size from a high resolution, that was what i implied you had original full size pictures.

Return to “Other GameBase Projects”